Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Time Domain Astronomy
The Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy at Caltech will offer one or more postdoctoral fellowships in time domain astronomy. Active research projects include:
• Optical transient, Galactic variable, and Near Earth Object searches with the Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF)
• Infrared transient and variable searches with the ongoing Palomar Gattini-IR survey and upcoming Widefield INfrared Transient ExploreR (WINTER) survey
• Data mining of extensive light curve archives for systematic studies of AGN variability and a variety of variable stars.
• Fast radio burst interferometric localization and multi-wavelength follow-up, and CGM/IGM characterization based on the 110-antenna Deep Synoptic Array (DSA-110), and the VLA/realfast project.
• Low frequency radio transients with the Long Wavelength Array (LWA) at the Owens Valley Radio Observatory (OVRO), including auroral emission from exoplanets and counterpart radio bursts to compact binary mergers detected by LIGO/Virgo.
• VLA and VLBA follow-up of compact binary mergers detected by LIGO/Virgo and radio transients detected in the VLA Sky Survey (VLASS).
• Radio pulsar and FRB observations with the JPL Deep Space Network antennas in Canberra, Australia.
Associated faculty are Professors George Djorgovksi, Gregg Hallinan, Mansi Kasliwal, Shri Kulkarni, Tom Prince and Vikram Ravi. Technical and observational investigations are underway in several areas of optical and radio time domain astronomy including supernovae, fast radio bursts, gravitational wave counterparts, magnetars, quasars/AGN, exoplanets and compact Galactic binary systems. Postdoctoral fellows will also have the opportunity to interact frequently with Caltech, KITP, and Berkeley faculty through the ZTF Theory Network. Postdocs interested in theory should apply for the Burke Fellowship.
The postdoctoral fellowship position will start September 2020 or earlier. The duration of the fellowship is up to three years: an initial one-year appointment with annual renewals contingent upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Fellowship recipients will have the opportunity to propose for time on all of Caltech's astronomical facilities, including those at Palomar Observatory and at the W. M. Keck Observatory.
Please apply online where we also list many additional prize postdoctoral fellowships in theoretical astrophysics and experimental astrophysics. Electronic copies of the curriculum vitae with email address and with citizenship indicated, publications list (indicate articles which appeared in refereed journals), and statement of research interests are required. Electronic Portable Document Format (PDF) submittals are preferred. The applicant is requested to ensure that at least three letters of recommendation are provided or sent directly to Caltech.
Deadline for the application is DECEMBER 15, 2019. Email inquiries in regards to the application process may be sent to email@example.com.
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- curriculum vitae with email address and with citizenship indicated;
- publications list (indicate articles which appeared in refereed journals);
- and statement of research interests.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-4970 for assistance or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.