Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Engineering and Applied Science
Tenure-track Faculty Position in Computing and Mathematical Sciences
The Computing and Mathematical Sciences (CMS) Department at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) invites applications for tenure-track faculty positions. The CMS Department is part of the Division of Engineering and Applied Science (EAS), comprising researchers working in and between the fields of aerospace, civil, electrical, environmental, mechanical, and medical engineering, as well as materials science and applied physics. The Institute as a whole represents the full range of research in biology, chemistry, engineering, geological and planetary sciences, physics, and the social sciences.
Fundamental research in computing and mathematical sciences, and applied research which links to activities in other parts of Caltech, are both welcomed.** A commitment to world-class research, as well as high-quality teaching and mentoring, is expected, and appointment as an assistant professor is contingent upon the completion of a Ph.D. degree in applied mathematics, computer science or related areas. The initial appointment at the assistant professor level is four years. Reappointment beyond the initial term is contingent upon successful review conducted prior to the commencement of the fourth year.
- Interviews will take place in January and February 2021.
- Applications will be reviewed beginning 22 October 2020 and all applications received before 1 December 2020 will receive full consideration.
- Applications received before 8 November will be considered for interviews in January.
- Applications received after 8 November will be considered for interviews in February.
To fulfill Caltech’s commitment to promoting diversity, inclusiveness, and excellence in research on our campus, we actively seek candidates who can work with, teach, and mentor students from under-represented communities. Along with other standard application materials, applicants should submit a diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach.
Questions about the application process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Areas of interest include (but are not limited to) algorithms, data assimilation and inverse problems, dynamical systems and control, geometry, machine learning, mathematics of data science, networks and graphs, numerical linear algebra, optimization, partial differential equations, probability, scientific computing, statistics, stochastic modeling, and uncertainty quantification. Application foci include computational physical and life sciences, distributed systems, economics, graphics, quantum computing, and robotics and autonomous systems.
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- Research Statement;
- Teaching Statement;
- At least three publications;
- Applicants should submit a diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-4555 for assistance or contact email@example.com.