Would you like to apply for a position or opportunity?
Please create an account to apply for a position or opportunity.
Already have an account?
Sign in to your account.
Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Engineering and Applied Science
Assistant Professor of Aerospace
The Graduate Aerospace Laboratories at the California Institute of Technology (GALCIT) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor level. We are seeking highly qualified candidates committed to a career in teaching, mentoring and research excellence in the broad area of aerospace. We specifically welcome candidates who are interested in research that expands the frontier of measurement capabilities and the full spectrum of their application within aerospace sciences and systems and/or that leverages data science and computation to augment empirical observations in aerospace or mechanics more broadly. It is anticipated that a successful candidate would collaborate broadly with investigators both within and beyond the Engineering and Applied Science Division, as well as in centers at Caltech including, for example, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the Center for Autonomous Systems and Technologies, the Center for Quantum Precision Measurement, and the Resnick Sustainability Institute. The appointment is contingent upon completion of the Ph.D. degree in an appropriate engineering or science related discipline.
Applications should be completed online by January 9, 2023; however, the review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt.
Caltech and the Engineering and Applied Science Division value and have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We especially seek to attract promising scholars with backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented in STEM fields. Successful candidates for this position are also expected to demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service.
Interested candidates should apply online. Applications should include:
- a brief essay (no more than 4 pages) describing research goals and plans and how these are supported by previous academic qualifications and professional experiences; the value they will bring to the Institute’s curricula as well as GALCIT’s research program.
- a 1-2 page teaching statement, including approach to and philosophy of teaching.
- a 1-2 page diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach.
- a curriculum vitae.
- a list of papers published and submitted with refereed papers indicated.
- the names and email addresses of at least three references letter writers.
Questions about the application process may be directed to [email protected].
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- a brief essay;
- a teaching statement;
- a diversity and inclusion statement;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a list of papers published and submitted with refereed papers indicated;
- and the names and email addresses of at least three references letter writers (Note: letters are not required at this time).
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The initial appointment for tenure-track positions is normally four years. Reappointment beyond the initial term is contingent upon successful review conducted prior to the commencement of the fourth year.
$175,000 – $200,000 per year
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, experience, qualifications, skills, education, specialty, training, and internal equity. As one of the largest employers in Pasadena, CA, Caltech is committed to providing comprehensive benefits to eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Our benefits package includes competitive compensation, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings plans, generous paid time off, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, and more. Learn more about our benefits and who is eligible.
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). Upon eligibility, employees are required to receive the COVID-19 booster as part of the vaccine mandate. As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found here.