Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Time Domain Astronomy
The Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy at Caltech will offer one or more postdoctoral fellowships in time domain astronomy. Active research projects include:
• Optical transient and Galactic variable searches with the Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF)
• Infrared transient and variable searches with the ongoing Palomar Gattini-IR survey and upcoming Widefield INfrared Transient ExploreR (WINTER) survey
• Data mining of extensive light curve archives for systematic studies of AGN variability and a variety of variable stars. Associated faculty are Professors Matthew Graham, Mansi Kasliwal, Shri Kulkarni and Tom Prince. Technical and observational investigations are underway in several areas of optical and infrared time domain astronomy including supernovae, fast radio bursts, gravitational wave counterparts, magnetars, quasars/AGN, exoplanets and compact Galactic binary systems. Postdoctoral fellows will also have the opportunity to interact frequently with Caltech, KITP, and Berkeley faculty through the ZTF Theory Network. Postdocs interested in theory should apply for the Burke Fellowship.
The postdoctoral fellowship position will start September 2021 or earlier. The duration of the fellowship is up to three years: an initial one-year appointment with annual renewals contingent upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds. Fellowship recipients will have the opportunity to propose for time on all of Caltech's astronomical facilities, including those at Palomar Observatory and at the W. M. Keck Observatory.
Please apply online where we also list many additional prize postdoctoral fellowships in theoretical astrophysics and experimental astrophysics. Electronic copies of the curriculum vitae with email address and with citizenship indicated, publications list (indicate articles which appeared in refereed journals), and statement of research interests are required. Electronic Portable Document Format (PDF) submittals are preferred. The applicant is requested to ensure that at least three letters of recommendation are provided or sent directly to Caltech.
Deadline for the application is DECEMBER 15, 2020. Email inquiries in regards to the application process may be sent to [email protected].
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- curriculum vitae with email address and with citizenship indicated;
- publications list (indicate articles which appeared in refereed journals);
- and statement of research interests.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Postdoctoral positions are term appointments with specific renewal requirements.