Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Biology and Biological Engineering
Lecturer for Introductory Biology Lab Course (part-time)
The Division of Biology and Biological Engineering at the California Institute of Technology seeks a part-time Lecturer to co-teach an introductory lab course to introduce undergraduates to molecular, cellular, and/or biochemical techniques that are commonly used in studies of biological systems. Experience with a genetically-tractable model organism, microbial or non-microbial, is essential. As it is currently structured, the course consists of both lecture (1 hr/wk) and labs (3 hrs/wk) and homework (2 hrs/wk), following a project format, with experiments building upon each other from week to week. The goals of the course are to teach students to become proficient in the execution of basic lab experiment techniques, understand the concepts underlying these techniques, understand the importance of controls for interpreting the results of experiments, to learn how to keep a lab notebook and prepare written lab reports, and to develop an enthusiasm for research. This 6-unit course is taken by Caltech biology majors. This position requires a two-year commitment and entails teaching one or more sections (depending upon enrollment numbers) Spring Term 2020 (March 30 – June 17) as apprentice instructor and Spring Term 2021 as head instructor. It is designed as an opportunity for postdocs interested in a teaching career to gain experience in leading a class with the benefit of mentorship.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience designing and implementing lessons and assignments for an introductory lab course
- Commitment to excellence in teaching
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Advanced degree and/or significant work towards such a degree in Biology or a biology-related field.
Position open until filled. Applications received by September 30, 2019, will be assured of full consideration.
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
• curriculum vitae;
• cover Letter explaining your interest in the position and relevant experience in teaching a lab course.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-2037 for assistance or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.