Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy
Burke Fellows in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics
The Walter Burke Institute for Theoretical Physics at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) solicits applications for its Prize Fellowship program. The Prize Fellowships at the Burke Institute offer an opportunity for outstanding recent and new Ph.D. recipients to perform research at Caltech for three years. They are selected by a faculty committee representing all areas of theoretical physics and astrophysics at Caltech and are provided with:
- flexibility, support, and freedom in choosing research direction within theoretical physics and astrophysics (including but not limited to theoretical astrophysics/cosmology, condensed matter theory, general relativity, particle/string theory, physical mathematics, and quantum information),
- an inclusive environment with faculty mentorship and activities organized by the Burke Institute to promote scientific exchanges and professional growth, and
- an annual salary and an annual research fund that are comparable to those of other prestigious fellowships.
The Burke Fellowship program significantly expands and strengthens Caltech’s long-standing program of Prize Fellowships in Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics. The Prize Fellowship program has been successful with over 95 percent of the more than 120 former fellows holding distinguished academic positions, as shown at http://burkeinstitute.caltech.edu/people/postdoctoral-fellows
We encourage all candidates to apply by November 15, 2021. Applicants should submit curriculum vitae (with email address and citizenship), a statement of research interests (no more than 5 pages, excluding references), and a list of publications via https://applications.caltech.edu/job/burke. Applicants should also ensure that at least three letters of reference are submitted on their behalf to this website.
Email inquiries regarding the application process may be sent to email@example.com.
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- curriculum vitae (with email address and citizenship);
- a statement of research interests (no more than 5 pages, excluding references);
- and a list of publications.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-3821 for assistance or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found here.