Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Engineering and Applied Science
Lecturer in Electrical Engineering
The Department of Electrical Engineering at the California Institute of Technology seeks applicants for the position of Lecturer in Electrical Engineering. This is a full-time, year-round, non-tenure-track academic position with teaching, instruction, lab management, and mentoring responsibilities
The Lecturer will develop and teach undergraduate courses in analog/digital electronics, circuits, and antennas. Courses are structured to give students the opportunity to analyze, design, and build electronic circuits and systems. The Lecturer will provide lab supervision of students as they design and build their projects for different courses, including project courses that are taught by others and independent study projects. In addition, the Lecturer will mentor students and offer guidance in their educational pursuits.
- Contribute to teaching and instruction-related duties and responsibilities in accordance with the mission, policies, and procedures of Caltech.
- Engage in developing and teaching a minimum of 5 undergraduate courses per year.
- Mentor students in their educational pursuits.
- Supervise, train, and provide guidance to students working on projects in student labs.
- Provide training as needed on basic laboratory equipment and protocols.
- Oversee and carry out daily operation of the student labs, ensuring safety and good lab organization for equipment, tools, work spaces, and projects.
- Manage and administer lab systems, practices, policies and procedures, including all safety guidelines.
- Manage a student workshop and ensure equipment safety guidelines are followed.
- Manage the self-service EE student stockroom.
- Additional responsibilities may include the opportunity to be involved in lab-related duties for ongoing research projects within the Department. The lecturer may also assist in other aspects of the undergraduate program, including curriculum development.
- The ability to teach basic and intermediate-level undergraduate courses in Electrical Engineering, particularly analog/digital electronics and circuits.
- A track record of excellence in teaching undergraduates.
- Significant experience in a lab environment.
- Excellent working knowledge of basic analog/digital electronic lab equipment.
- An advanced degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Previous work experience in an academic teaching/lab environment.
To apply, please submit your CV and a statement of teaching. Three letters of reference will also be required.
We seek to fill this position for the 2019-20 academic year and the initial term of appointment is one year, renewable.
We strongly recommend that you apply by June 15, 2019. The review of completed applications will start in June, and we will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
If there are any questions during the search process, please contact us at:
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- curriculum vitae;
- and a statement of teaching.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-8817 for assistance or contact email@example.com.