Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Engineering and Applied Science
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science and Engineering
The Department of Environmental Science and Engineering (ESE) within the Division of Engineering and Applied Science at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor level. We are seeking highly qualified candidates committed to a career in teaching, mentoring and research excellence in the broad area of environmental science and engineering. We specifically welcome candidates who are interested in applying fundamental engineering and science disciplines to develop innovative approaches towards mitigation of and adaptation to climate change, environmental resource monitoring and management, and engineering aspects of environmental sustainability. It is anticipated that a successful candidate would collaborate broadly with investigators in the Resnick Sustainability Institute (RSI). Required qualifications include a Ph.D. in an appropriate engineering or science-related discipline. The term of the initial appointment at the Assistant Professor level is four years and is contingent upon completion of the Ph.D. degree in a relevant field. Reappointment beyond the initial term is contingent upon successful review conducted prior to the commencement of the fourth year.
The applications should be completed online by January 1, 2022; however, the review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt.
Caltech and the EAS Division value and have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We especially seek to attract promising scholars with backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented in STEM fields. Successful candidates for this position are also expected to demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service.
Interested candidates should apply online. Applications should include:
- a brief essay (no more than 4 pages) describing research goals and plans and how these are supported by previous academic qualifications and professional experiences; the value they will bring to the Institute’s curricula as well as the ESE department’s research program.
- a 1-2 page teaching statement, including approach to and philosophy of teaching.
- a 1–2-page diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach.
- a curriculum vitae.
- a list of papers published and submitted with refereed papers indicated.
- at least three letters of reference to be uploaded by the letter writer. Please also include the names and email addresses of the referees in the application.
Questions about the application process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- a brief essay (no more than 4 pages) describing research goals and plans and how these are supported by previous academic qualifications and professional experiences; the value they will bring to the Institute’s curricula as well as the ESE department’s research program;
- a 1-2 page teaching statement, including approach to and philosophy of teaching;
- a 1–2-page diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach;
- a curriculum vitae;
- and a list of papers published and submitted with refereed papers indicated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Click here to read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Caltech is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical or mental disabilities. To request disability accommodations for any part of the interview or hiring process, please contact 626-395-8724 for assistance or contact email@example.com.
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found here.