Looking for Staff Positions?
Division of Engineering and Applied Science
Faculty Position in the Engineering and Applied Science Division
The Division of Engineering and Applied Science at the California Institute of Technology invites applications for a tenure-track/tenured faculty position. The search is focused on candidates who will join at the assistant professor level, but exceptional candidates at more senior levels will also be considered.
We seek highly qualified candidates committed to a career in teaching, mentoring and research excellence in the broad areas of Information, Systems and Computing. Of particular interest are candidates that have innovated within any number of a wide range of domains, including but not limited to applied and computational math, computer science, machine learning, optimization, control/dynamics, robotics/autonomy, signal processing, information theory, quantum computation, and the mathematics of data and models.
This is a joint search between the Department of Computing + Mathematical Sciences, the Department of Electrical Engineering, and the Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering that reflects the unique interdisciplinary nature of Caltech. The successful candidate will join one of these departments, or a combination thereof, as best reflects their interests in teaching, mentorship, and research. It is also anticipated that a successful candidate would collaborate broadly with investigators both within and beyond the Engineering and Applied Science Division, as well as in centers at Caltech including, for example, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the Center for Autonomous Systems and Technologies, the Center for Quantum Precision Measurement, and the Resnick Sustainability Institute.
Applications should be submitted online by December 15, 2023; however, the review of applications will begin immediately upon receipt.
Caltech and the Engineering and Applied Science Division value and have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We especially seek to attract promising scholars with backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented in STEM fields. Successful candidates for this position are also expected to demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. The appointment is contingent upon completion of the Ph.D. degree in an appropriate engineering or science related discipline.
Interested candidates should apply online. Applications should include:
- a brief statement (no more than 4 pages) describing research goals and plans and how these are supported by previous academic qualifications and professional experiences,
- a 1-2 page teaching statement, including approach to and philosophy of teaching
- a 1-2 page diversity and inclusion statement that discusses past and/or anticipated contributions to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of research, teaching, and/or outreach,
- a curriculum vitae, including a complete list of publications,
- three representative publications,
- the names and email addresses of at least three references letter writers.
Salaries for professorial faculty at Caltech fall in the range $125,000 to $400,000.
Questions about the application process may be directed to [email protected].
Instructions for Applicants
- Create an account.
- Fill out the application form.
- After you submit your application form send the link that is provided to your three references and have them upload their letters of recommendation.
- Upload the following documents (as individual files or in one combined pdf):
- a brief statement describing research goals and plans;
- a teaching statement;
- a diversity and inclusion statement;
- a curriculum vitae, including a complete list of publications;
- three representative publications;
- and the names and email addresses of at least three references letter writers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The initial appointment for tenure-track positions is normally four years. Reappointment beyond the initial term is contingent upon successful review conducted prior to the commencement of the fourth year.